Friday, October 28, 2011

Muffins Three Ways: Blueberry, Raspberry, Apple Cinnamon

First of all, I would just like to say: I need serious help in making a simple crumble for topping muffins. I followed the recipe just like it says, but all I got was a melted-all-over-the-muffin-pan mess! My muffins didn't look very good at all, but oh my did they taste amazing.

It could be because I cheated. I didn't fill the muffin cavities all the way, and made 12 muffins instead of 10. Tsk tsk on my part. Therefore making the crumble topping be a disaster! I'll make these again eventually and see where I could have gone wrong.

IMG_0738
All the ingredients I used! Plus apples and raspberries to use for batch two and three muffins.

IMG_0739
Add flour, salt, baking soda and sugar into a bowl.

IMG_0741
Put in your oil, egg and vanilla in a measuring glass and add in enough milk to equal 1 cup. It'll be not quite a full half-cup of milk.

IMG_0742
Fold in the blueberries to the thick batter.

IMG_0744
This is where you're supposed to fill the muffin cups all the way, but...I didn't. Shame on me. I've read the recipe a million times, and still did it wrong!

IMG_0745
All the ingredients you need for the crumb topping!

IMG_0746
If you have a dorky husband like I do, this is the face he'll make while holding your uncooked muffins!

IMG_0749
After mixing your crumble ingredients with a fork until the butter is pea-sized, sprinkle a good heap of the mixture on top of your muffins. I should have filled my tins up all the way. It makes me a little sad.

IMG_0751
The terrible mess that came out of my oven. Oh my! What did I do so horribly wrong?! But they'll be gone in a few days. They're delicious. And ugly.

Blueberry Muffins
Recipe from: The Cutting Edge of Ordinary

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
enough milk to fill one cup
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon


$.15
$.17
Staple Item
Staple Item
$.58
$.11
Staple Item
$.14
$1.88
$.22
$.10
$.36
Staple Item


If an item says it's a staple item that means that I used so little of the full product that it wasn't worth the math to figure out each teaspoon, etc. Haha.

Total Price of Meal: $3.71

1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease the muffin cups or use muffin liners.

2. Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk to mix. Place the vegetable oil into a 1-cup measuring cup and add the egg and vanilla. Pour in enough milk to fill it to the 1-cup line. Pour this into the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Don’t over mix! Gently fold in the blueberries. The batter will be thick.

3. Fill the muffin cups to the top. I used an ice cream scoop and one scoop filled them perfectly. Makes 10 muffins.

To make crumb topping:

4. Mix together the brown sugar, flour, cubed butter and cinnamon. Using a pasty blender or a fork combine until the butter is pea sized. Sprinkle over the muffins before baking.

5. Bake 20 - 25 minutes in a preheated oven or until they test done. Let cool 5 minutes in pan, and then remove from pan to cool on a rack.

Other Variations I Used: 1 cup raspberries OR 2 apples, finely diced and a good sprinkle of cinnamon instead of using 1 cup blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment