Monday, October 31, 2011

Burly-Man-Size Chicken-Cheddar Barbecued Burgers with Spicy Coleslaw

It's Halloween, and I didn't make a single Halloween anything this year. It kind of made my husband a little sad since he's never celebrated Halloween before and this would have been his first one! Next year it will be made up.

These burgers are pretty decent. The coleslaw isn't as spicy, but I'm sure you could adjust the heat as much as you want! I didn't want to add too much spice since the last two meals were...hothothot.

These need a little bit more BBQ sauce and cheese. I think instead of adding the cheese into the burgers, I'd just top them off with some after cooking. Plus I would add some of McCormick BBQ seasoning to the burgers and top with more BBQ sauce after cooking. I like my BBQ sauce, okay?

IMG_0771
All the ingredients you'll need! Some of which are hidden behind everything else...

IMG_0775
After adding all the coleslaw ingredients, make sure the cabbage is completely coated and set aside to top the burgers with.

IMG_0776
Poorly-shaped chicken burgers. I had to defrost my chicken in the microwave because I only set it in the fridge the morning of. It was still a little frozen by dinner time. After the microwave, my chicken was totally soggy and wouldn't hold. Oops. But still worked out okay!

Oh yeah. I recently bought myself a grill skillet thing. I've been wanting one for a while, and finally just decided I needed it. I love it! It's awesome for burgers. I can't wait to try other things on it. Like grilled chicken breasts...

IMG_0777
The finished plate! Make sure to serve with yummy french fries for a tasty meal.

Burly-Man-Size Chicken-Cheddar Barbecued Burgers with Spicy Coleslaw
Recipe by: Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats Cookbook

1 cup mayo
1 tablespoon hot sauce
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
salt and pepper
1/2 small red cabbage, halved, cored, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, thinly sliced
6 scallions, thinly sliced
2 pounds ground chicken
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/3 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4 inch dice
extra virgin olive oil
4 kaiser rolls, split


Staple Item
Staple Item
$.28
$.78
$.82
Staple Item
$1.61
$.75
$1.16
$4.18
$1.26
$2.28
Staple Item
$2.68


If an item says it's a staple item that means that I used so little of the full product that it wasn't worth the math to figure out each teaspoon, etc. Haha.

Total Price of Meal: $15.03

1. For the spicy coleslaw, in a bowl combine the mayo, hot sauce, lime juice, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper. Add the sliced cabbage, red bell peppers, and half of the scallions, stir to coat the cabbage, and reserve the spicy slaw for topping the burgers.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, BBQ sauce, cheddar dice, reserved scallions, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Score the meat with your hand to mark 4 equal portions. Form each portion into a 1-inch thick patty. Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the patties and place them in the hot skillet. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until the patties are form to the touch and cooked through.

3. While the burgers are cooking, toast the kaiser rolls. Transfer the burgers to the bottoms of the toasted roll, pile some spicy coleslaw on top, and then replace the roll tops.

4. Serve with fries or chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment