Sunday, November 13, 2011

Beef Enchiladas

I always thought making enchiladas would be hard to do, and messy, and just not something I'd want for a quick go-to meal option.

I was so wrong! I found a recipe on the inside of a specialty Velveeta, and completely fell in love. It's so easy, so quick, so yummy.

So, let's talk. I want to be able to get to the point where I post every day, or at least every other day. I want to try so many things, and experience so many things I'm missing! I work at a Wal-Mart bakery. I know. I'm surrounded by cheap, not-that-yummy treats all day long. I'll find those few things I really like and tell myself 'I can totally make this so much better at home!' Recently, I found these mini pumpkin pies with a little dab of cream cheese frosting. Oh my. I need to make these for my Thanksgiving table.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I need to focus on what I want to make! Last year, I made a big deal out of Thanksgiving because we thought my grandmother wouldn't be here to share another one with us. But! She's made it through another year! This year, we're really getting 95% of the family together to celebrate.

One more thing, too. This makes me a little bit sad and I want to know what other people say. My husband doesn't read my blog. Honestly, I want him to. I want to him to be involved in this part of my life that I enjoy so much. Since he's not in the kitchen with me, he could at least feel like he is when he reads my blog! Is it bad that it makes me sad he doesn't attempt to look at it?

Well, on to the main meal...

IMG_0828
The simple, not too many ingredients!

If you can't find the Spicy Jack Velveeta cheese, they also have a white cheese that should be just as good! Maybe add a can of Rotel on top to melt with the cheese?

IMG_0830
Spread half a cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, covering the whole bottom.

IMG_0831
Add your onion and hamburger meat in a pot, and get it all nice and brown. You should probably chop your onions 100% better than I did. I need more chopping practice.

You'll add 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce to the mixture after your meat is done cooking.

IMG_0832
The original recipe said to use corn tortillas. I've made this meal twice and used flour tortillas. I'll have to try corn one day just to see the difference.

I just pile my tortillas on a plate and put them in the microwave until warm. You can probably skip this step (unless you use corn tortillas, because they do need to be soft or else they tear).

IMG_0833
Spread a heaping 1/4 cup of the meat mixture on a tortilla.

IMG_0834
Roll up the tortilla nice and tight and place seam side down into your prepared baking dish.

IMG_0836
This is what you'll get after rolling each enchilada. Now comes the good stuff...

IMG_0838
Pour on the leftover enchilada sauce and slice up your Velveeta cheese to melt to perfection. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place into your oven for 20 minutes.

IMG_0839
While your enchiladas are in the oven, prepare your side fixings. I didn't have any refried beans on hand, but they would be good with these, too!

I know you're probably thinking I have the weirdest counter accessories. We have maybe a foot and a half of counter space. And even that foot and a half is covered with my grandparent's medicine and random things my grandfather would go crazy if I moved anywhere else. Yes, it annoys me that those things are there and in my pictures, but that's the way things are and I'd never move something in a house that isn't mine.

IMG_0840
Oh my. Oh my. Oh my. Don't these just look so amazing? I think so. Make this for dinner tonight! I highly suggest it.

IMG_0841
Yes, this is my plate. Yes, I do love my side fixings. It makes it that much more better. And you thought it couldn't get any better, right?!

Beef Enchiladas
Recipe by: Kraft's Velveeta Box

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cups enchilada sauce
4 oz. Velveeta, sliced
8 8" flour tortillas, or 12 corn tortillas


$3.20
$.99
$1.00
$1.79
$1.00


Total Price of Meal: $7.98

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. In a pot, place your ground beef and onions in a pot. Cook the beef until completely brown, and onions are tender. Once cooked, add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce and turn off stove top.

3. In a 9x13 baking dish, evenly spread 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on bottom. Heat your tortillas if you like to get them warm (if using corn, they do need to be soft so they don't tear).

4. Working one at a time, place heaping 1/4 cup of meat mixture into tortilla and tightly roll up. Place in prepared baking dish seam side down, and repeat with each remaining tortilla.

5. Once every tortilla is done, pour the remaining 1 cup enchilada sauce on top to cover each enchilada. Place the sliced Velveeta all around to evenly melt over the enchiladas. Cover dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, or until nice and hot and cheese is melted.

6. Serve with your favorite sides, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment